View Single Post
Old August 24, 2014   #56
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
Tracy,

If I had rotten leaves, I would put it on top of the beds, sprinkling lime first, then covered by leaves. Worms will take care of them quickly.

Another option is to sprinkle lime, then put the leaves, and then cover by a thin layer of compost, if you have a compost pile.

This is slightly offtopic, but I read in quite a few places that changing pH is not so easy, as soil rich in organic matter will 'resist' it. I do not bother with soil pH, as long as I see the veggies thriving in the garden. I also believe that by adding lots of organics into the soil will make it a good pH for growing vegetable crops. Our native soils are quite acidic here - lots of blueberry farms around! I think I limed only a couple of times over the last 10 years, only because everybody talks about it. Not sure if it had any effect on our soil pH. I believe if the soil is rich in humus, plants will thrive in our garden, regardless of pH. They thrive even more when the soil is covered by ramial wood chips.

How acidic is your soil Tracy?

Tatiana
My compost bin won't be done for a long time and my tumbler needs at least two more months. I just started both, when we arrived here about 4 weeks ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (26.8 KB, 84 views)
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote