View Single Post
Old February 28, 2015   #28
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

I lucked out, the front lawn has 4 mature crepe myrtles in addition to the live oaks. I'm not the original owner, but I don't deadhead the myrtles and now they're almost as tall as the house itself.

It's nice being able to have control over the front lawn, but locking-horns with the HOA isn't in the cards right now. While I fart in the general direction of their "rules" to be honest they haven't been jerks about any of my landscaping change requests, so I guess I can't complain.

Thanks for all the suggestions in this thread, it's been so helpful. I'm finishing up some research for my proposal to the HOA. For sprucing up the front I'm pretty sold on the camellias, there's so much variety in bloom form, color, height and they're shade loving, drought tolerant, and they seem uncommon in the neighborhood (I don't remember seeing anyone with them on their property). I have a sunny spot on the west side of the house where I'm hoping to put two mexican birds of paradise, and I'm researching a few other suggestions for sizing to see what else I can fit in before I make any final decisions. My front and west side yard isn't huge, so I only have so much room to play with, I wish I could fit in a lot more and experiment with a wider range of plants.
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote