View Single Post
Old December 29, 2009   #53
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Ami, thanks so much for sending those pictures to Adam.

Here are the last two groups .

Green When Ripe

Great White, low acid???, Adam, I think better to say mild tasting for ALL the places where you say low acid, IMO. received ( on details page) and continuing on the details page,......try in the 1980's. One plant produced large white beefsteak shaped fruits and we named the variety Great White.

Green Giant, yields

Lime Green Salad, better to say, I think, bred by Tom Wagner in the 1980's and introduced by Tim Peters........but why Tim Peters? At that time he was still at Territorial Seeds as I recall and Tom sent several of his varieties to SSE and they were first listed there, ones such as Greenwich and I think Lime Green Salad as well. As far as that goes Tom had his own small catalog back then and was selling seeds from that catalog, he called himself the Tater Mater Seed Company, so he really would have been the one to introduce this variety as I see it.

Spears, not Spear's for the variety name, green, not Green, in the text

Black Cherry, Regular leaf, strong vine growth, high yields of 1 " dark- colored cherries with excellent taste. This variety was bred by the late Vince Sapp, former owner with his wife Linda of Tomato Growers Supply which she still operates.

Brown Berry, Regular leaf, brown 1" fruits, bred by Sahin Seeds of the Netherlands.

Coyote, add originally from Mexico and there's more to this story as there is for many of the varieties and since folks like stories perhaps those can be added at some later date.

Green Grape, you start out with must try and have no info about plant habit, DTM, leaf form , etc., plant habit should be det even though the original was indet, so, Determinate, regular leaf, good yield of about 1" cherries with good taste. I'd suggest picking in pints, not quarts for roadside sales, hey, I've done it and few want whole quarts of cherries IMO, LOL Also, I'll send you Green Doctors which I and many others find to be a much better gwripe cherry, and the latest development with that one was the mutation to a clear epidermis and so named Green Doctors Frosted, but I'd go with Green Doctors at first.

Mexico Midget, half inch red fruits ( I wouldn't say tiny since that usually refers to currant types)

Pink Cherry, 3/4 inch, and it's not clear to me if Rheinhard Kraft bred this one or just had it on his seed list , and that would be Manfred's seed list anyway. Clara could clear up this confusion.

Yellow Submarine, pear shaped fruits ( plural on fruits)

All for now and that's it. As Travis said, he'd check back when all the suggestions you agree with have been implemented and of course if anyone sees anything else they want to add that I missed or I said something not correctly I encourage all to post those comments here.