View Single Post
Old July 3, 2007   #10
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

sounds like a wonderful recipe craig, but it's way too much work for me!

i normally saute the chard but i was in a rush (like when am i not?) the other day and decided to boil it. i chopped 12-15 leaves (4"-8" long) and the stems, added it to about 2 oz of boiling water and in 2 minutes it was done. NOW that's fast compared to sauting.

it was tender - excellent... better than sauting actually. i mixed the chard with ~ 2-3 cups brown rice, couple of crushed garlic cloves, ~ a handful of raw sunflower seeds, splash of good balsamic vinegar and 3 splashes of good olive oi and a lot of grated cheese.... in about 5 minutes supper is done, assuming the rice is cooked and it was.

i could live on this (i have several of these immediate meals i could live on, can't wait for pole beans) and i think the boiling is better than steaming and much quicker than sauteing. boiling seems to remove the metalic taste chard has. if only i had some tomatoes to chop up!

i really think boiling is better and i never boil anything due to the loss of vitamins. i drank the water, there's about 1 oz if you use just 2 oz.

tom
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote