View Single Post
Old July 12, 2019   #81
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have very high amounts of phosphorous, magnesium and calcium. Most of that is due to over use of cow manure which is really high in phosphorous. Alfalfa is mostly a source of slow release nitrogen and organic matter. Much of my soil imbalance is due also to using the recommended amounts of dolomite lime and triple 8 or 10 many years ago. I also had a problem of very high ph from overuse of fresh mushroom compost which was way too basic and so uptake of certain minerals was very poor for years.

Despite the high concentrations of some elements my soil is constantly in need of more nitrogen and potash. Alfalfa pellets and cottonseed meal are both good sources of slow release nitrogen and wood ashes and potassium sulfate help with my potash deficit.

I add between 5 and 10 pounds of cottonseed meal to every 10 ft of raised bed each season fall and spring and about half that amount of alfalfa meal. My results are so good that I am going to continue using them both at this rate until I see some diminishing results which so far I haven't seen. My results if anything are only getting better each year and my worm population continues to thrive.

It only takes a week or two for the alfalfa pellets to start breaking down well and less time than that for the cottenseed meal as long as the beds are wet down or rained on. If I need to plant right away after adding my supplements I just add a bit of high nitrogen quick release fertilizer along with my cottonseed meal and alfalfa pellets and wet the bed down really good and then wait a couple of days to plant.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote