Thread: Gigandes Beans
View Single Post
Old February 20, 2012   #31
Petronius_II
Tomatovillian™

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

What I know about spinach is,

(a) it's tough to grow in New Mexico because the climate swings back and forth between "too hot for spinach" and "too cold for spinach" with amazingly unpredictable irregularity. And precious little time in the "just right for spinach" realm. Our soil isn't all that great for spinach, either.

Then again, I've never tried growing it in Autumn, as I would've done long ago if I had any common sense.

(POIGNANT ASIDE #4821-D: Or maybe the really common-sensical thing to do would be to get to know the ins and outs of cultivating beets, Swiss chard, lamb's quarters, New Zealand spinach, maybe even Malabar spinach... Mostly just beets for me, so far. Lamb's quarters grows wild all over the city, though, and common sense would seem to suggest getting to know that one especially well.)

(b) Greek spinach, which I've probably never tasted but might have, comes from a nationality of hard-scrabble farmers with somewhat similarly difficult growing conditions, who luvs their spinach, grow lots of it, and have some of the nicest spinach recipes in the world.

(c): (a) + (b) = Sure would like to try it some time.
Petronius_II is offline   Reply With Quote