View Single Post
Old June 2, 2021   #8
aclum
Tomatovillian™

I'm very interested in this subject I'm doing Kratky plus inground growing this year. I'm wheelchair bound with some limitations and I don't like constantly weighing out and mixing the masterblend chemicals. So, to make things easier for me, I did some "calculations" to come up with the maximum concentrations I could get of MB part A (MB plus Epsom Salt) and B (Calcium Nitrate) and then optimizing these amounts so that I would have a convenient dosage rate. (Actually part B wasn't really a concern as it's so much more soluble than the part A components).

(I can show you how I came up with my results, but as someone on another forum somewhat rudely told me "just because you can do calculations doesn't mean you should." ).

Anyway, here's what I came up with and so far it's working for me in my situation:

For 500 ml each use 120 g MB and 60 g ES for A and use 120 Calcium Nitrate for B

Keeping in mind that the chemical bulk displaces some of the water volume, you don't use a full 500 ml water for each part. Here's how I mix mine (it can of course be scaled up or down but I find the water bottles convenient for me at this stage of my garden):

Label 2 empty 500 ml water bottles A and B
Using a funnel, add 120 g MB and 60 g ES to bottle A
Fill with water to about an inch of the top and shake to dissolve chemicals
Using a funnel, add 120 g Calcium Nitrate to bottle B
Fill with water to about an inch of the top and shake to dissolve chemicals

Use 10 ml part A and 10 ml part B per gallon of working solution.

Depending on what I'm growing, I can adjust the dosage up or down a bit. I've had no problems combining parts A and B shortly before adding them to my reservoirs or jugs of water. You could do some experiments with different times and temps to see how long everything will stay in suspension. I've also been able to add about 10% pH Down (whats generally required for my tap water) to the combined concentrated chemicals without any dropout.

I should say my little formula hasn't been confirmed by anyone "official" or more experienced, but it works for me. Not sure about how the EZ Flo works, but hopefully this might be a starting point for you.

IF I'M WRONG ABOUT ANY OF THIS PLEASE CORRECT ME!!!

Anne
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote