View Single Post
Old February 18, 2020   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Rain, Rain, Go Away

After just a few days of drying out, it's rain today through Thursday. The purported heat tolerance of the Wando peas will be tested this year as they're going to get sown probably the latest they've ever been sown. The beds were just starting to dry out and now more rain.

Yesterday I put tunnels over the two pea beds and the one potato bed just to keep the rain out and help them dry! When I grabbed a handful of soil, the top 2-3" seemed ok to plant in but below that it was muddy. and when this bout of rain finally stops, I'm going to go ahead and plant in that top 2". If their roots go down into the mud and they drown later I have plenty of seed for replanting.

Now the turnip and carrot sowing scheduled for today has been cancelled until further notice. I have no idea what this year's garden will finally look like. I just know that when it's finally ok to plant it's going to be an avalanche of tasks to do at once. Oh well, been there and done that before and it will all get done sooner or later. Hopefully not later. It's always a race to get stuff up and running before the heat comes calling.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote