View Single Post
Old May 22, 2010   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry_AK View Post
Yes, the second one is correct. It's just that there are slight alternative spellings for some of the CIS varieties.

Andrey lists the second one in the SSE YEarbook and gives both spellings and I'll just shorten his description to a small round red, det, the name means Early From Minsk, and it's a commercial type developed in Minsk.

Andrey also introduced the first one to the SSE YEarbook and it's also a standard commercial type commercial variety.

Neither are what I think most of us would call Legacy varieties if you look at most of the other threads in this Forum, but at least you know more about them and that's good.

Short term memory problem here but I think I remember that one or both are also listed at Jeff Casey's website where he sells seeds and I forgot to see if Tania herself sells seeds for either one but I didn't think so, Jeff posts here as well and his website is;

http://members.shaw.ca/jwlcasey/Case...toes/Home.html

Both Andrey and Tatiana post here at Tville, and both have introduced many many wonderful varieties to the SSE YEarbook. And for quite a few years now Andrey has been sending seeds to a few of us each year and some that I list in the SSE YEarbook are from him and since I also make a free seed offer here at Tville, or have been, you'll see in my list quite a few from Andrey.

One of the most outstanding recent ones, I think, is Orange Minsk, which Andrey found at a farmer's market in Minsk. he collects seeds from many places in the CIS and Europe, some heirlooms but mostly commercial varieties and also helps out lots of folks here at Tville, as does Tatiana, with interpreting Russian language and othe variety names. One example is if you read the current thread in the General Discussion Forum titled Ukrainian Sabre.

I'm growing out I think 3 more from Andrey this year and the one where he collected seeds from a farmer's market in Tula, looks especially interesting to me.

It might be a very good idea for you to save Tatiana's webpage to your faves b'c she has info there for about 3,000 varieties and that's always expanding and she's always trying to update what's there.

And those of us who are SSE members also can usually find some lesser known varieties in our annual Yearbooks.