View Single Post
Old February 14, 2018   #1
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default Cross Pollination -saving pollen..

Hi ..Clearly I am wasting my time trying to find a medium size tomato that I really like apart from a variety known to me as Tasty Tom...so I am going to try cross pollinating and see what happens...

I have read articles on what to do but I am always open to tips etc ...So as I understand this is basicly what I have to do ...Choose two varieties ..I have chosen Tasty Tom crossed with a Purple cherry......
To do this I require Pollen from my Purple cherry flowers..Although this is said to be the easy part I really need some tips... My Purple cherry is high and the good flowers are right at the top...for safety reasons I understand I can break off flowers from the top and then get pollen from them into a small jar and actually store it under certain conditions so that it lasts a reasonable time.....

I then apply the pollin ...wait for a fruit to grow and if successful I use the seeds from the fruit to grow a cross?

I have not used the proper terminology so as to keep it simple...I have emancipated a few flowers on a tasty tom plant and it was no problem ...so on with the pollin?? or is it not quite as easy as that....

Regards Ron
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote