Thread: blown down corn
View Single Post
Old September 11, 2020   #20
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Hawaiian #9, a tropical supersweet, OP, grown in Massachusetts. Pretty neat. Do you get squirrel damage with it? Do you still have some growing or is done for the season? I just read about it on a hawaii.edu PDF file.

It mentions wind pollination and how it is important to plant rows parallel to the prevailing winds. I have mine just the opposite, NS rows the last couple years and would call the prevailing wind from the west, but it varies quite a bit, not like trade winds. The violent winds are usually from the NW.

I have one more block of incredible that didn't silk yet, not sure how that will do. I should have done soil blocks for that instead of seed. Seems like it's quicker by a week even in summer. I think the sprouts just like that nice 90f for 3 days and the good nutrition, versus going in the ground. I know I like spacing I decide. Good chance that transplants are more prone to blow down, yet the stuff that fell back over after I cut their strings a few weeks ago was the seeded corn, not the soil blocks. It didn't snap but it is still laid against the tomato cages and cobs are looking marginal.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote