View Single Post
Old April 20, 2014   #15
joseph
Tomatovillian™

I think plastic tubs are a wonderful idea for hardening off. They'd protect the plants from UV light, which is my climate is about all they need for hardening off. I'd either lay the tub on it's side so that the opening faces north, or open up one whole side. That would keep them from overheating.

I typically harden off under a sheet of 8 mil plastic. The sides are open so that air can freely circulate. I place a sheet of plastic a foot or so over the plants. The purpose of the plastic is to protect the plants from the UV rays of the sun. I think that 6 mil is about right to stop the UV light, but I use 2 sheets of 4 mil because it is readily available.

This is the easiest way I have found to harden off. If I put things in any sort of enclosure they burn up when I forget about them. (I always forget.) I hate dragging things out for 15 minutes then 30 etc... (I always forget!) With a single sheet of plastic I can move the plants outside and I only have to do anything about them on nights when frost is expected.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote