Thread: Compost
View Single Post
Old February 22, 2006   #4
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

I thought hay/wheatstraw would be a good base for the bulk of it. My brother is a cattle farmer and has all these rotten stacks of "round bales" (the big ones, taller than a truck, and bigger as well, for all you non-cattle farmers). When I was field trialing I had horses, and Pappy, the tomato man I mentioned earlier, would come and clean out the barn stalls for (what I know now) was the fine mix of decayed straw, feed, and manure.

I never got into the compost thing, maybe because I thought I had enough of it already in rotten hay, horse stuff, gin trash, and other. It's all free and plentiful here, and even though I've always been keenly interested in true composting, I've just never done it the way they say to do it. Therefore, I ask.

Don
Mayberry, RFD.
Zip Code E I E I O

PS. Just came in off the porch. It's nearly 11 pm and they are still working on the new room across the street. Now, he has his helper, in a black truck, and they leave it running with the lights on to see how to work. This is better than Hooterville. In more ways than one.