View Single Post
Old September 10, 2015   #13
MendozaMark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MendozaMark View Post
First off , don't shoot the messenger on this one...lol. I am no scientist, don't have a science degree just a gardener who wants to learn.

The big issue with the report/research on the NPK analysis of comfrey was there were no controls used. He did not grow anything else but comfrey so no comparison could be done to any other plant in that exact soil with exact same inputs. Also if I grew comfrey and you grew comfrey and we had it tested, would it be exactly the same NPK value? No, it would be dependent on the soil and inputs and other variables. Our results would most likely be different then those of the research paper too . So to say any plant has this NPK value really isn't accurate. If you did not use controls by growing different plants in exact same condition then you can't compare the plants in terms of NPK.

That being said, I couldn't find out if proper research was done on comfrey with proper controls. I assumed that research had been done or i would have been told that it was inconclusive due to lack of research, like the mustard question. If I do find something I will post whatever results i find.

Lastly, i have 40 liters of comfrey tea brewed and I will use it regardless. Will I make more, not sure.

Cheers Mark
I have switched to worm castings here as i can get a 35Kg bag of bone dry castings for $10 Canadian. I am going to put the rest of my energy into making compost. If i see deficiencies in the plants then will try figure out what my best option is organically. Lastly, if my production is too low then i will plant more or just keep trialling varieties till i find the happy zone.

Cheers Mark
MendozaMark is offline   Reply With Quote