View Single Post
Old July 3, 2016   #34
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Well it looks like both parthenocarpy and gynoecious traits are complex in cucumber - influenced by hormones so of course all the genetic makeup in the hormone aspect also plays into its expression, as well as the environment.

Here's a reference, hope the link works. Gynoecious flowering discussed page 7-8 and parthenocarpy page 9.

cuke.hort.ncsu.edu/cucurbit/wehner/articles/book15.pdf
Yes,the link works and I ASAP went to the pages you noted.

All to say that it seems very complicated as genes involved,or not,same with hormones involved, which ones,etc. About the only thing that resonated totally with me was the reference to IAA (indole acetic acid) as inducing parthenocarpy,since most companies that produce Blossom Set do include IAA.

And there are alway squestions about Blossom Set saying they live in FL, etc. and blossoms aren't being pollenized and would BS help,the answer being no,since BS was developed to be used in areas where Springs are cold,mainly the PNWest.

All to say is that it would be great to know more but methinks I'll continue to grow those cukes that have done well, for me, and yes,mostly the self pollinating ones.

Carolyn, and also glad to see that the situation with cukes re all above is about the same with tomatoes as well.