View Single Post
Old August 3, 2016   #18
tash11
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
I can certainly see why it is more appealing to just do re-sale since you would likely make more than if you grew and sold it anyway. There doesn't seem to ever be organic produce at the auctions though since it cant compete with pricing of conventional.

There are a TON of resellers here. One just built a sales 'barn' on a busy road going into a richer area. Don't know how they will do as that richer area is known to be cheapskates. They have a good image with the 'barn' and some pumpkins growing in the acre next to it. All their FB posts on the local groups focus on 'local'. But their pics look exactly the same as the auction.
The local apple orchards buy their squash and flowers from the auctions too.
And I have seen at least one person at the farmers market in town not even take things out of the peck boxes they got at auction. Most farmers markets have rules about no reselling.

I do see organic or chem free at our auction sometimes. Because of the spots though it goes for next to nothing. Like the 8 pecks of apples I got last year for $2 a peck because they had some flyspeck on them. Tasty though. Probably from someones backyard tree that they just ignore until harvest.

There used to be an organic you pick apple farm near me. But they stopped doing that and focus only on cider now because of the appearance issue. Apparently people really do care about spots on their apples.....
tash11 is offline   Reply With Quote