View Single Post
Old June 23, 2013   #36
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

That is in a 6" dia x 6" tall pot. That plant is closer to 18" tall, actually. The plant shown is an F1 of a cross between two F1's, each of which shared Chibikko as the female, hence the dwarf phenotype showing up in this generation. I have 10 plants from this cross with a mix of determinate and indeterminates. Some of the indeterminates are great looking plants. Love heterosis!

Soil is my own simple mix of peat:perlite:soil amendment bark plus a handful of lime and slow release fertilizer per batch made up in one of those rope handle tubs. Some kind of soluble balanced fertilizer added while watering if the plants look like they are deficient. I usually let them tell me what they need by observation. They do take more fertilizer since they are watered twice per day in our heat and are in small terracotta pots.

I keep forgetting to taste the fruit though! I get too excited about collecting seeds!

I think the F2 should be interesting with green stripe segregating. Not sure what to expect....

The numbers of lines I have has quickly exceeded my capacity to follow them through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlintx View Post
It is nuts how many flowers and fruit that little plant is supporting!

So, what size container? Soil? Fertilizer? I want mine to look like that!

I was also wondering, are the smallest tomato plant's fruits usually more tart/acidic because they don't have the leaf surface to produce lots of sugar? I picked a Sungold this morning that was extremely tart -- the plant has only a couple of leaves left, which is what got me wondering.

Tl

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote