View Single Post
Old February 5, 2012   #43
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerShawn View Post
Aside from scads of tomatoes (last year was a record for me at 26 varieties; this year I have 110!) I am looking forward to rat tail radishes, where you eat the seed pods, not the root. I also ordered a bunch of sweet potato trials from Sandhill Preservation.
I grew out the rat tail radishes for the first time this year and really enjoyed them. They varied in intensity from plant to plant, but that just added to their charm for me. I even added some of the very young leaves to some dishes, kind of like mustard greens.

You may be surprised at the size of the plants. They really sprawled all over the place for me. I guess when I was expecting them to stay small like regular radishes.

This year a lot of the garden is new. Growing in bales should be interesting.
Some of the new plants include lettuces, Tatsoi, kales, some of my peppers, and many of my tomatoes, including the dwarves.

One of the ones I'm really excited about is the Zuchetta Rampicante Tromboncino squash. (Heck, just the name is enough to get you excited) It's a member of the same squash family as the butternut, but can be eaten either as a summer squah or as a winter squash. It can get over four feet long.

I'm most excited, though, because it is more resistant to the nasty things that normally destroy my squash, usually before I get more than one or two.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote