View Single Post
Old February 15, 2013   #51
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Bill,
Do you suppose the "semi-indeterminate" trait is caused by the recessive sdt gene partially expressing itself in the presence of the dominate sp gene? I know the page you sent me said the sp gene was fully dominate, but it would seem to me that is far more likely. They also said it was 82% and 70% that semi-determinate traits were from the single sdt gene. However, it is also possible to get results like that from 2 genes that are closely linked. If it is 2 genes closely linked (one recessive and one either dominate or incomplete dominate or possibly co-dominant), it would explain some of the stranger variations like what you are describing.

At least to my feeble mind it seems more likely than a whole new semi-indeterminate gene. Otherwise how unlikely would it be that me over 30 years ago on my first breeding attempt get such a closely similar phenotype crossing a semi determinate and an indeterminate in only the F3? The odds seem really really stacked against it, unless one of the parents of the lines you used is that long lost Rutgers semi determinate strain from Indiana I have been looking for.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; February 15, 2013 at 07:49 PM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote