View Single Post
Old May 22, 2017   #47
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I'm surprised at how early my first large fruit was ripe. I picked a very large Neves Azorean Red at full blush and let it ripen on the porch to full red. I don't know if I have ever gotten a one and half pound tomato in less than sixty days before. I don't believe Neves Azorean Red has ever been my first ripe tomato and it is also the largest I have ever gotten for a first ripe tomato. It made some fantastic BLTs to go with a pot of white peas out of the freezer.

It is just today 60 days since setting out my plants and I have already picked 3 Neves Azorean Reds, 2 Brandywine Cowlicks, and six others from various varieties. We got a good bit of rain yesterday and it is predicted to rain for the next 4 or 5 days so I may have a lot of split fruit with so many tomatoes getting to the picking stage just as a lot of rain moves in. If I see any skin splitting on larger fruits I am going to pick them even if they are still green because with at least four more days of good rain predicted they will bust if I don't and they will be useless. From the radar it looks like more rain is coming in the next hour or so. I am going out to check my rain gauge and plants before I am unable.

I hope the good production continues throughout the season for everyone and may the pests be few and the foliage diseases rare and mild.

Bill
Neve's and Gregories Altai were my first two to pick, Neve's was good but Gregories won the taste test by a mile.

I notice yesterday that in my second group that I planted out, Neve's had over 10 fruits. Really surprised, it is next to big beef and is a little ahead at this point.

Overall my second group of plants have more fruit than the first group.

The third group of plants have started to flower.
Dark Rumor is offline   Reply With Quote