View Single Post
Old January 2, 2018   #20
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuntannedSwede View Post
Thank you all for your advice, I will spring for the Blacktail Mountain seeds then. I had some success with 'Small Shining Light' a few years ago, in spite of being root-bound and stunted. They were in black containers though- soil temperature wasn't so much of an issue. I didn't think to measure the temperature of the bed over the summer, I will make a note of that for this coming season!

I like the idea of that melon landrace- sounds like a lot of time and effort on the part of the developer

Sounds like I should invest in black plastic and some rain barrels! Moon and Stars is the most beautiful watermelon I have ever seen, I tried it a few years ago but no fruit of course. Loved the spotted leaves. I'll save my plans for exotic watermelons for when I have a greenhouse some day. Much appreciated everybody!
Could you do a low cover? Just clear plastic and pvc pipe. You could train the melons to go length ways to keep them inside their boundaries.
Btw,I have grown Orangeglo and liked it quite well. I’m not sure how they’d do in your climate though,we have long hot summers.
I’m looking for a melon that doesn’t split as much because last year they split badly with our big thunderstorms last summer. Which is a huge bummer,watching them get big,nearly ready and then splitting in half. The goats and horses sure enjoyed them. I might consider putting low tunnels over the plants later in the season just to keep them drier.

Last edited by Tracydr; January 2, 2018 at 05:39 PM.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote