View Single Post
Old October 12, 2011   #7
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Default Best Stuffed Squash

This is my favorite way to eat squash!

1 squash - about 3 lbs (original recipe called for pumpkin, but you need something more dense than that)
salt and pepper
1/4 lb stale bread, cut into 1/2" chunks
1/4 lb cheese - gruyere, emmenthal, cheddar, or whatever you have lying around (I used about half this amount of cheese)
2-4 garlic cloves, split and coarsely chopped
4 strips bacon, cooked until crisp, drained, and chopped
1/4 C snipped fresh chives or chopped scallions
1 Tbsp minced fresh thyme
1/3 C heavy cream (I used whole milk)
freshly grated nutmeg

1) Preheat the oven to 350* and make sure the rack is low enough to accomodate your squash.

2) Cut a cap out of the top of the squash- like you're starting on a jack-o-lantern. Make it a generous cap so you have room to work inside the squash. Pull out the seeds and strings. Season the inside of the squash with salt and pepper. Put squash on a baking sheet or in a casserole. (squash will be soft and wobbly when it's done)

3) Toss the bread, cheese, garlic, bacon, and herbs together in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pack the mix into the squash. The squash should be filled, you might have to adjust the stuffing amount to accomodate your particular squash. (I had to add extra bread chunks)

4) Stir the cream with some nutmeg and pour into the squash over the filling. You might have to adjust the amount -- you want the stuffing moist, but not swimming, and liquid will be coming out of the squash itself as it cooks.

5) Roast the squash for about 2 hours. Check it after 90 minutes - the squash will be really soft when it's done. Pull the cap off of the squash about 30 minutes before it's done to let the stuffing brown a bit.

6) Pull it out of the oven and dig in! I scooped the stuffing and Squash into a big bowl and mixed it all together. I suppose you could slice the whole thing into wedges if you were careful enough.

The recipe says it makes 2 servings, but I guess it depends on how big the squash really is and how dense it is; I had enough for a few dinners for myself and a lunch.
lakelady is offline   Reply With Quote