View Single Post
Old March 29, 2017   #24
ARgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I don't see any Perlite or other aeration in your potting mix, by 3 weeks to 1 month time you should have much much bigger plants.I think your mix is too dense, and likely too wet, the roots aren't able to take up nutrients very well in a dense mix, especially if it's too wet. I DO NOT think it's the temperatures. My seedlings are always started when it it in the high 80s to low 90s, I start them late August in South Florida and it is hot and humid, but they grow very well. By one month they are about 5-6 inches tall with thick stems and 4 sets of true leaves. I start them out with dense planting, but they are transplanted individually to their own 3" pot by 2 weeks time. Of course they have a full set of true leaves by then.
I know it's your mix, if you want them to grow, your going to have to get them a better mix. Sorry, I can tell you don't want to hear that, but it's the truth. I mean this to be helpful.
It's Fox Farm's Light Warrior.. it's very light and I let things dry out plenty (??). The mix plus the trays I use make "too wet" nearly impossible here.

These plants aren't really one month.. I found the dates I started them (3/4), did the math (took about 7 days to germinate- some more, some less. just average of 7). Plus a few days till emergence.. So they are really closer to 2 weeks old since the seed first put out a little root.
I've seen where tomato seedlings grow best between 65 and 70.

Last edited by ARgardener; March 29, 2017 at 09:48 PM.
ARgardener is offline   Reply With Quote