View Single Post
Old January 6, 2018   #13
bower
Tomatovillian™

Default Earliness

I didn't get really solid data on earliness in 2017 for several reasons. First, I started seed in three waves instead of all at once or within a week. Since day length changes quickly here, that makes a difference, so there's not an equal baseline for comparison. Also didn't keep any Moravsky Div, they all went to the farm, so I didn't have a "standard" to compare.
Second, after starting late in the first place, the plants had to be held back for two weeks when they should have been transplanted, due to extreme cold. Third, we had a heat wave after transplant which was too hot for fruit setting in the greenhouse, blossoms dropped. Fourth, we had an extended period in August of sunny heat, when fruit hung green ripe but didn't color up as expected. I did take data of days from seed to first ripe, but take it with a grain of salt.
Last not least, outdoor plants ripen fruit at least 10 days later than in the greenhouse.

Earliness for the three black determinates in days from seed:
Black Nipper F5: 126 days outdoors
Rodney F3: 115-120 days from seed. The main crop (big flushes) was about 135 days from seed.
Sundog F4: 141 days from seed. This was main crop as well as first fruit - flushed all over as soon as they started. This is later than previous years/generations.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote