Thread: Cloning?
View Single Post
Old April 4, 2018   #8
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

I actually have quite a few 'clone' cuttings in water on my kitchen counter as we speak.

I brought in a few tomatoes to share with a coworker last week, and he liked them so much he actually kept a few on his desk instead of eating them. When I asked him why, he said that he was saving them so he could take them home and get some seed so he could grow some himself.

Since we're in Phoenix, and it's already hitting 90 during the day, I told him starting from seed would take way too long and that they would die from the summer heat long before he got anything. Then I told him I could take cuttings from my current plants, since they're starting to get overgrown and need to be trimmed back anyways.

So, I cut off a bunch of suckers and topped a few stems to share. The way they're going, these plants won't even miss what I've removed.

.. also, a couple months ago, I found one of my plants snapped off about a foot from the ground.. I suspect one of my cats jumped off the wall and hit it. Anyways, it had quite a few growing tips on it, so I trimmed them all back to about 5" and stuck them in water. Didn't expect much, but they all rooted very fast and survived being moved to potting mix. The original plant put out a ton of new growth, so I ended up sharing these new clones with neighbors.