View Single Post
Old February 18, 2018   #45
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Its getting near the end of whats been a wonderful summer for growth in my TGS beds, yesterday i pulled a few plants that clearly were not going to produce seed, the whole cluster of cloves had regrown new roots, two had sprouted and one had grown a green leaf. That's the vigour of seed grown garlic that i like, the short/nil dormancy.
I also bred leeks and have recently pulled the remaining plants after the last of the seed heads were removed, leeks and garlic being the most closely related out of the Alliaceae family you can compare them to each other in someways. With leeks the stems remain fully green till seed maturity where garlic doesn't seem too at this stage, but with the turn over of each of the future generations through TGS i'm picking that the scape should start to hold that green longer and longer. The leeks i pulled yesterday, half the plants would have rotted out and the tops would have fallen over, but the other half some were regrowing new shoots from ground level, similar to the garlic below. The more extreme example of this is what happens with the perennial leek, seed reproduction while growing new cloves.
Potentially it could be possible through using TGS to select a whole new range of garlic lines, some that grow year round more like a perennial leek with cloves with green leaves that are eaten fresh.

Last edited by Medbury Gardens; February 19, 2018 at 12:01 AM.
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote