View Single Post
Old April 20, 2018   #45
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeker View Post
I'm late coming to this thread, just found it. The earlier discussion of varieties including Salanove is very interesting. I tried some mixed salanova varieties (home gardeners package) with not too good results, slow growing and low survival once planted out. Also priced above most kinds. Then I found that High Mowing has 5 varieties that worked very well for me in the same covered, then shaded raised bed. Have taken one cutting and am looking to see which varieties regrow best. The seed is also pelleted and much lower in price than salanova. Plus the lettuce tastes great.

I really dont know what to think of Salanova, myself. They make a lot of claims that I only see 1 or 2 people having that kind of success with. I have never tried it, and honestly dont see myself ever trying. At one time I thought about it, but moved on.

There are a whole bunch of varieties out there to try, something has to work. So far my own blend is holding up quite well. Now that the temps are warming up a bit, I have been watering 2-3 times daily. In order to keep the greens going my plans involve a shade cloth and misting heads on a timer.

If the above works out, the next step is to build a shade house. Probably 12x48.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote