View Single Post
Old January 4, 2016   #43
nctomatoman
TomatovilleŽ Moderator

Very interesting read. Let's take the Dwarf Project. It grew from curiosity, turned into a labor of love, and never, ever was there any expectation on my part (and I am sure Patrina's) to make a penny from the efforts - the education gained from doing the project, the collaborations, friendships, occasional (and rare) glimpses into a less positive side of human nature, now seeing companies make them widely available are all what I consider very valuable earnings, personally...and a few really fine individuals have made some greatly appreciated donations. It has been a superb, wonderful experience at a 99% level (and there are no 100% experiences in life). Same thing with the tomato book, and I am sure, straw bale book (royalties being what they are). For those of us who have gardening passions - maybe not all, but enough - we do other things to support ourselves, which free us up to do this that we love.

That's not to say that a more altruistic business model wouldn't be appreciated, but it is what it is...and that ain't bad.