View Single Post
Old March 24, 2017   #55
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
They look great!
I use this method to test germination on a few every year. But what about oxygen. Does the bag need to be a bit open? Mine are just above my sink on a shelf so i'm reminded to check on them. (Probably should find a warmer spot) and maybe a reminder note above the sink...along with all the other reminders

I have a couple i'd like to try. Nothing rare. A house guest on a road trip stopped at Montecello driving south and sent me tom seeds as a gift that never germinated the usual way.
I just assumed they were a gift shop novelty and possibly old and not stored properly on their end. This was a dozen yrs ago and have been in the dud file.

And why i'm a bit picky where i get my seeds. TGS for years and now from recommendations here only.
My own saved seeds from my prime 'stable' always do well. No surprise that the big box suppliers are a toss-up and low germination as they must be selling older seed.
As far as oxygen is concerned, a couple of points, the reason I used dilute H2O2 is that it is unstable and easily degrades to water and releases an oxygen atom. I am peeking (a lot) and opening the bag but even so, plastic zippies are not air tight at all and would be permeable enough to not be concerned.
KarenO

Last edited by KarenO; March 25, 2017 at 07:51 PM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote