Thread: Wonder Soil
View Single Post
Old December 20, 2014   #24
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I guess the product is improved. Salt used to be a problem with it, as the coir is cleaned in saltwater. But is it the coir or the amendments? Which can be added to anything. Part of the problem when evaluating a full product, not just the base. In the studies it's peat vs coir, and all else is the same. Results are pretty clear. I add minerals, fungi, bacteria, organic ferts, compost, and worm castings to my soil mixes too. Even Promix to me is lacking. It could use minerals and compost.

As a base product with no additives maybe WS is better. But I myself mix my own soils. I just use too much to purchase ready mixes. So for me starting from scratch peat makes more sense. It clearly outperformed coir. I just wanted to add this to the discussion as many here also make their own soils. As a pre-made soil it looks to be decent. All the same If I did want a pre-made soil I myself would go with a Fafard or Happy Frog product. Lack of Pine concerns me in both of these mixes you guys have been using. Pine has been shown to suppress pathogens such as Phytophthora root rot. Fafard and Happy Frog contain pine fines. In general I avoid all mixes without pine.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote