Thread: Soil ?
View Single Post
Old February 25, 2016   #39
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Foot Smells View Post
Interesting. Haven't heard of that, but good point. I get my compost and supersoil from American Composter, which is a company that (I believe) cooks their compost by strict regulation.

Not sure where they get their composting materials, but probably yard waste and the such.

I would think that weed killer had a short shelf life; like roundup. Thought in went inert after about 60 days applied.

I will ask a few more questions about their process. Thanks for the heads up.
Some years ago PREEN for lawns contaminated large composting operations, I believe in washington state.

Not directly, but through the active ingredient in Confront, the herbicide that was put into Preen for lawns. It was a pre-emerge and post-emerge herbicide in one application/product.
The lawn grass pulled it up and retained it in the clippings. Those clippings were gathered and sent to the composting facilities where it remained (even after active heating) and contaminated the compost. Eventually was spread back onto gardens and killed stuff.

2-4 D will do this too.

I wonder if Imidicloprid (Merit), a systemic insecticide, would harm soil biota too? It is a soil applied drench on shrubbery, which the roots absorb and pump throughout the plant, lasts an entire growing season.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote