View Single Post
Old February 20, 2011   #1
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Default Actinovate and Exel LG application instructions for hose-end sprayer (large areas)

I thought some folks might find this helpful if you've got a whole lot of plants to foliar spray, want to treat your turf with Actinovate, or have any other large areas to do that makes it time-consuming or impractical to use a pump or other hand-held sprayer.

I use an Ortho Dial and Spray, but any brand of hose-end sprayer that allows you to control the dispersal rate should work too.
  • Add 2 2/3 Tablespoons of Actinovate to a one gallon watering can. Add a little cool or tepid (not scalding hot) water and get it to go into solution by stirring or agitating, then fill to the top. You can also add some spreader/sticker if you'd like.
  • Fill Ortho Dial and Spray up to the 32 oz mark (which is the top mark) from the watering can.
  • Set dial / dispersal rate to 8 oz.
  • Spray. If applying to turf or doing a soil drench, I'd suggest you apply after it rains, run your sprinkler system, or wet down the area a little first. That way, you'll get better soil penetration. Or, I suppose you could lightly water in after applying.
  • A one gallon watering can will fill the Dial and Spray 4x. (gallon is 128 oz, 32oz is 1/4 of 128.)
  • By following these instructions, you'll be applying at the rate of 1/2 teaspoon Actinovate per gallon of water.
Math/logic:
  • 8oz setting (per gal) on the Ortho Dial and Spray applies at 1/16 strength - 128 oz (one gallon) divided by 8 oz = 16
  • 2 2/3 Tablespoons = 8 teaspoons (quicker to use a 1 TBSP measure and just eyeball that third scoop for about 2/3)
  • Recommended application rate for soil drench or foliar is 1/2 teaspoon per gal. Label says 1 teaspoon per two gallons, same thing...
  • Hence, 8 divided by 16 gets you to the 1/2 teaspoon application rate
I add about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of liquid molasses to the watering can, because it helps feed soil microbes and also has a spreader/sticker effect. If doing so, you'll want to put the molasses in first, add some hot water to get it to go into solution (stir), add enough cold water to cool things down a little before adding Actinovate (stir again), then fill to the top.

Note that they do make a granular product for lawns (Actino-Iron), but it is rather pricey if you have any significant amount of turf to treat, and can be hard to find.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote