View Single Post
Old August 15, 2018   #4
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Different climate here, obviously, but I just stuck them in the raised bed like tomatoes/pepper/eggplants and they have gone plumb crazy with no sign of stopping. I did plant them late, well after my hot peppers were in. The flea beetles were all over them at first, but they seem disease free. I may have watered once or twice in June when it was really dry yet. All this rain since end of June has burst their stems and they are showing white where they burst, but are still going. Not that I know what to do with them. They are kind of tart and I'm just throwing them in the chili and salsa. I planted five in the same spot, squeezing them into a spot between a pair of hab and a pair of thai dragon peppers, eventually culled two of them. Then when they got tall and laid over, I shifted them around the thai peppers and caged them, kind of in the next spot over; by then it was clear of lettuce.

I'm not real sure what to do with the fruit but I do think I'll grow again next year...the bumblebees are out there covered up in the tomatillo pollen when I took the pictures.

I'd say give it another try the same way, like tomatos/eggplant/peppers. I was also one that tried and failed with a single plant the first year, and I almost didn't plant this year until I about hit my head on some tomatillo seeds at the store and thought, what the heck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tomatillo_a_08_15_2018.jpg (449.5 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg tomatillo_b_08_15_2018.jpg (436.6 KB, 159 views)
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote