View Single Post
Old November 5, 2019   #65
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Default All Available Sun Series

So this year I stayed home during the month of September and what a difference it made with the tomato fruit set regardless of temperature. It's been mostly really HOT and warm nights. But having a bunch of orchid bees visiting the garden from daybreak to sunset compensated for the hot temperatures. Fruit set on most tomatoes (large ones included) has been outstanding.

So on the SunSeries (and other cherry tomatoes). I'm growing 2 of each unless noted.
All are in Earthboxes and most have outgrown the cage extensions. All grown at least 2 years, some more.

Sun Orange - I've been eating them since October 23 on a daily basis.

Sun Cherry - The 2nd Sun Series to ripen

Sun Chocola - I also have ripe tomatoes too.

Sun Peach - Nothing ripe yet, but sharing the EB with a SunCherry; they outgrew the extensions over a week ago. Only 1, but I have some root cuttings.

Sun Lemon - I thought this was the weakest seedling of the Sun bunch, but not as a plant in an Earthbox. It has outstanding fruit set without a ton of foliage. I'm so glad I chose Sun Lemon over Esterina (which I decided is better in the spring than winter).

Sun Green - fruits are still small; much smaller than all the others

Sun Grape - Last year I grew in a 5 gallon root pouch and the area was crowded by a wall of cherry tomatoes. I still got a ton, but nothing like this season. Now it shares an Earthbox and what a huge difference. (only growing one)

Tomato Berry - (only growing one). Much further behind in fruit set this year vs last but it is sharing an earthbox and on the northwest side (lessor sun). Earthbox's mate is Edox (by Johnnyseeds - see comments below).

-----
Other cherry tomatoes:

Nector - nothing ripe yet - only 1, haven't been able to get a good clone. I love it last year but didn't have the longevity as the Tokita or Johnny's

Edox - WOW - might be the most productive plant ever - ripe tomatoes; I was waiting for them to turn brown from looking at the picture on Johnny's site, but it is a red tomato. A really bushy tomato plant. First time growing it.

Cherry Bomb - It's good that it is such a strong producer because sharing the EB with Edox who is a beast. Back from last year.

5 star grape - Only one; lots of fruit, nothing near ripe. Back from last year.

Braveheart - first time growing - up front on the pool deck, nothing near ripe.

Sweet Aperitif - first time growing, in a large Root Pouch; it is almost like a multiflora with all the flowers setting fruit. Nothing near ripe

Sun Sugar - Plant gets no morning sun, but lots of afternoon sun. First time growing it.

Honey Delight - Ping Pong ball size - excellent last year - nothing near ready. One plant gets no morning sun (shares EB) with Sun Sugar.

KARMA Pink - Also Ping Pong ball size - nothing near ready, in a Root Pouch.

Last edited by Barb_FL; November 5, 2019 at 12:06 PM.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote