Thread: Buying Herbs?
View Single Post
Old March 21, 2015   #43
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Beale... Your lavender seeds should be arriving tomorrow or Sat, hopefully.
What's the best way to start lavender seeds? If I have some that are 3 years old do you think that would be too old?
Beale-lavender and Rosemary are really easy if you give them good drainage. If you're keeping them in pots, use cactus/Palm soil. I think they like their pH on the upper side of 7, since they are extremely easy to grow in AZ.
Oregano and thyme also need good drainage. I've not been successful over summer in AZ with them, even though they are Meditterean plants,too. I hope to be more successful here in NC, where summers get hot but not 115.
Basil is a heat and sun lover. I always grew it through the summer in AZ and it did great. It does like some water and the seeds need conditions similar to starting tomatoes.
Cilantro,dill,fennel,and parsley are easy,cool season. Parsley can take awhile to germinate but is otherwise easy. think winter sowing it is good as I've had a lot of self-sowing patches long term. I suspect the seed does better after its gotten cold a time or two. Cilantro, dill and fennel, just throw some seed where you want it and sow extra for the butterflies.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote