View Single Post
Old December 8, 2015   #5
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shule1 View Post
I've been on the lookout for an orange pear tomato that is the same shape, size and productivity as Yellow Pear and Red Pear (not plum-shaped, as some of the tomatoes called pear tomatoes are). I'm hoping for a tomato that is the same color of orange as Kellogg's Breakfast, Sweet Ozark Orange, Persimmon, etc.

Does anyone know of such a tomato? I'm very surprised I haven't found one. You'd think if you crossed Yellow Pear and Red Pear (two very common varieties) that in the F2 generation, if you grew out enough plants, you might get one this color. I think the color I'm looking for is described by a gene called Tangerine or something. Sweet Ozark Orange resulted from a cross of a red and a yellow.

If you're going to breed such a tomato, though, I don't recommend using Yellow Pear and Red Pear. Maybe use Honey Drop (the pear one; not the round cherry), and the best-tasting red pear tomato you can find, like maybe Austin's Red Pear. I wonder if brown or purple tomatoes would work in place of red (like Chocolate Pear or Evan's Purple Pear) to cross with a yellow and get an orange.
What you are looking for is a necked pear shaped tomato with tangerine (t) gene flesh. This will not be achieve by crossing a yellow fleshed (rr) tomato x a red fleshed (RR) tomato.

Instead, you might use a tangerine fleshed (tt) grape, such as you may find in the supermarket grape packs, and cross it with Yellow Pear or Yellow Submarine, then begin your selections for shape and orange flesh in the F2 populations.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote