View Single Post
Old February 25, 2013   #45
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktutt View Post
Well, I've done a fair amount of work with various governments and large companies, so the hurry up and wait is old hat by now. (I spent last week in DC for a project and ended up flying back after accomplishing almost nothing, I kept having to remind the two project managers I was working with that we've been at this a while and sometimes this is just how it goes.) Did one grant project once upon a time, so I have an idea what kind of a paper tiger that involves as well.

The way to set this up for the matching funds issue seems simple enough, at least on the surface. Establish a business entity (possibly apply for a 501c status) to apply for the grant, fund it with the 25% needed to satisify the grant conditions then draw that back out as an administration salary/expenses making it just an accounting exercise.

I have the idea that this could be set up as an umbrella organization for multiple cooperating breeders to be able to use the grant fund resources, but haven't talked to our attorney or anyone who could tell me if I'm crazy yet.

It's something that could do some good for specialty crop development which is the purpose of the program. Plus the idea of helpng facilitate some tax money going to something I think is important is appealing, so I think I'll put in a little effort to investigate it.
Tomato breeding is a welcome escape from the bureaucratic complexities of my work life - you are a brave man to suggest this Mark.
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote