View Single Post
Old February 12, 2012   #42
CarolynPhillips
Tomatovillian™

my growing medium was half peat moss and half compost manure.(commercial from marvins building supply)
If I can't find the peat moss, I also use half promix and half compost.
I really like to add a little vermiculite but that gets really expensive with this many grow bags.

I mix my soil in a lawn mower trailer and use a Mantis cultivator to mix it together.
I put half a (3.8 compressed) bale of promix and 4 forty pound bags of compost in the trailer at one time.
That mixture will fill up about 10 five gallon grow bags.

No, my fertilizer is not organic. Organic is so hard to get beautiful plants like the pictures I posted. I use commercial.
Mittleider Magic Micro-Nutrients 8 oz
20 pounds 13-13-13
3 pounds Epsom Salt
Mix. Place one heaping tablespoon per grow bag once a week for mature producing plants. Give only half that for young plants.
also, I give each growbag a tablespoon of Calcium Nitrate every week for mature producing plants. Half for young plants.

note= I am not against organic. I love organic in my raised gardens that I grow by the square foot. But I also give them a little boost of the fertilzer above if they are heavy feeding plants= tomatoes , eggplants, peppers, melons, etc..

Carolyn

Last edited by CarolynPhillips; February 12, 2012 at 07:52 PM. Reason: adding info
CarolynPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote