Thread: Asian Eggplant
View Single Post
Old March 18, 2016   #36
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post
Starlight >>> With the long forming eggplants, do they drag on the ground? Do the fruits need to be staked?

Nope, no different than any other eggplant. I stake my plants as a general rule, especially when they get loaded.

>>>I have a question too before I forget. Do the Asian cultivars have thorns on their leaves? The last time I grew Black Beauty I had a couple of normal looking plants and one that had wicked big thorns all over the leaves.

I've seen thorns on leaves on different varieties, no big deal.

>>> Taboule... I just learned a few days ago what tahine was. They had used it on a cooking show.

Same recipe can be used to make Hommus: Blend chick peas + tahini + garlic paste + lemon juice. Good old Lebanese dishes.

>>> Do these Asian eggplants need any extra fertilizer or special treatment? Do they have alot of foliage? I am thinking about the 4 to 5 months of blistering heat and humidity and wondering if I should put them in a place where they get some filtered shade.

Again, no different than BB or others. To max out on plant size and production: warm feet early in the spring (I use grey grow bags), plenty of sun, and never let them dry out in the summer.
Thanks for answering all the questions. Big help! I'll definitely keep an extra eye out on the watering. Maybe that's where I am going wrong. I'm going to put in a container this year and put some protective covering around the plants I think to help with the beetles. Oh how I hate them things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooty View Post
Well beyond flavor still a couple of differences. Asian eggplants usually don't keep as long as the Mediterranean vars, because they tend to have really thin skin. On the other hand, they usually mature earlier probably b/c they tend to be volumetrically smaller.
That is good to know. I didn't even think about how long they would keep. Do you keep yours on the counter or put in the fridge? About how long will they last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper2008 View Post
I have no luck with the larger eggplant. I'll only get 2 or 3 the most. Otherwise I would
grow the larger ones like black beauty, alongside the asian ones.

I liked all the asian ones I have grown. To me they are all pretty much the same, even
the green one's. Very productive.

The one's I have grown in the past, Machiaw F1, Thai Long Green, Ichiban, Ma-Zu, Casper, Louisiana Long Green, Black Beauty, and Diamond. That's it.
That's about what I get too on Black Beauty. Seemed like such alot for work fighting flea beetles day in and day out to only get a couple of fruits. That's why I wondered if the others needed special ferts or something.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote