View Single Post
Old October 7, 2009   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygreg View Post
There is some character on EBAY selling Big Zac's stating that it holds the world's record - about 8 3/4 lb if I remember. I wrote and asked him about it and where the record was recorded; he emailed me back that he grew it himself and he knew what it weighed. I assume people are buying these seeds since they continue to be sold on EBAY; wonder what results they have produced.
Big Zac does not hold the world's record, the variety Delicious does, as grown by Gordon Graham of OK and it was 7# 12 oz.

Just this past week a Big Zac of 7.18 lbs won a contest and it wasn't even the F1 hybrid, is was an F4.

At GW this is being discussed and the thread started by Marv Meissner who wrote the recent book about growing large tomatoes.

Marv also said that the only person who knows the parents of Big Zac F1 are Minnie and perhaps the folks who do the hybridizing for retail sale although, and now I'm implying, she could have coded the ID's. but I also know that she apparently told someone that one of the parents was her own family heirloom.

So no definitive answers..