View Single Post
Old June 29, 2017   #3
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

I now have my seeds, but will have to research what temperatures trigger bolting. September can be tricky and sometimes even October can have a few surprises up here in NW Georgia. I do like your idea of starting the seed in flats, but read that sometimes high temps in the seedling stage can trigger later bolting. I sought out varieties that can survive cold winter temps and will use straw for insulating. Too, I like your idea for plastic rolls for cover as so many of the others are cost prohibitive. Too, I've got to determine a date to put out the seed for the fall greens as direct sowing. Many times I have put out seed like spinach, lettuce, and Chinese varieties only to have them bolt in a few weeks. My hardy varieties like kale, cabbage, collards etc. will be the ones started in seed flats, so some research, guesswork and luck will be required to have them ready for winter growing. Here, October can be just a roll of the dice. I have tried carrots here, but they always came out bitter. Thanks for your feedback and suggestions! More folks should try gardening over the winter. I used to watch them on The Victory Garden growing vegetables over winter up north. If they can, we certainly should be able to. Wish there were a dedicated thread here for fall and winter gardening!
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote