View Single Post
Old September 26, 2020   #367
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by atilgan View Post
Thank you for the explanation. I had cut the top to prevent it from spreading but it did not work
Once the plant is infected there isn't anything that I have tried or anything that I have heard of that slows it down or stops it. I have tried both removing plants immediately upon spotting the disease and leaving them in place until they die or wilt totally. It doesn't seem to make any difference in whether or not I got more infections on clean plants even the ones right next to each other. It must not spread very easily other than through the thrips that infect the plants initially and there doesn't seem to be any way to stop them from doing so when they show up. TSWV cases seem to come in waves at different times with usually the heaviest infestation early in the season and with lighter cases popping up from time to time over the whole season but that could just be my experience with the disease and it also could be my location.

The only effective thing I have found that has so far assured me of a productive season despite the ravages of TSWV is to plant far more tomatoes and peppers than I need and just remove the sick ones when it strikes. It can leave some very gappy rows at times of heavy or frequent infections of TSWV and at other times I end up with way more tomatoes than we can deal with in seasons where TSWV is not as pervasive as usual down here.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote