View Single Post
Old July 6, 2013   #71
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_willus_d View Post
Isn't it more than just the suggestion that bucket-bubbler fails in the disease suppression category. What I found most concerning was the table 6 on page 46 where it lists that both Bucket-bubbler and trough methods were not able to produce any detectable "active bacteria" nor "active fungi." How is one to read that and then feel "good" about using the 5-gal bucket-bubbler method?
-naysen
At least that one failed in producing detectable active bacteria and fungi. That was the bucket bubbler method that was half filled with water and half with compost. Most bucket bubbler systems I've seen use the mesh bag method to suspend the compost above the bubbler. Big difference there?
As far as how they detect active bacteria and fungi vs. total bacterial and fungi mass, I don't know. Some bacteria are motile and they can be seen zipping around in the water under the microscope, that's an obvious way to detect active bacteria, but how do they detect active non-motile bacteria vs. bacteria that are just dormant?
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote