View Single Post
Old February 12, 2013   #26
Lilaalil
Tomatovillian™

I have a volunteer cherry tomato plant in my yard that I really like, so I went ahead and planted seeds from its fruit. But I also have some hybrid cherry tomatoes in my yard, very close by, and the bees are very active on the flowers, so it's quite possible that they cross-pollinated.

I don't mind terribly if the fruit doesn't end up true to seed, though I would really like to get that same tomato as the volunteer. But the idea of plants with no fruit worries me. So IF the hybrids did pollinate volunteer, and IF they carry male sterility gene, would my next generation still be able to bear fruit, assuming that I have other tomato plants in the yard that do not have the male sterility gene, and the bees are still zooming around doing their job?

Sorry, this is all very new to me. I sprouted the seeds and then thought about it after Which brought me to this forum. I just went out and took some cuttings of that original volunteer today, and will root them to make some true clones, but I'm interested to know what will happen with the ones I sprouted from seed.
Lilaalil is offline   Reply With Quote