View Single Post
Old February 13, 2015   #25
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post
I stick by my statement. I don't see any benefit. Weeds rob soil, they do not create it. Weeds can kill trees, by taking all available nutrients. Why you mulch to keep weeds away from tree roots. Common knowledge. It's not just trees, many plant suffer greatly from the presence of weeds. So much so seed packets sometimes warn about weeds.
No problem. I fully understand this project is only an experimental trial using the most advanced cutting edge breakthroughs in biological sciences (but not proven conclusively in a working vegetable agricultural system). While your view has 10,000 years of experience and tradition worldwide (and a fair bit of science itself).

It would be arrogance for me to argue with you about this. You are more likely to be right. You have the majority view after all. Mine is the unproven minority view. My experiments have been unexpectedly successful these last two years. I actually thought it would be harder and take longer, but who knows? The project could fall apart this year with a total crop failure.

But no one will know till they make the attempt. One thing is certain, the current conventional model for agriculture is unsustainable and hugely destructive to the environment. Success has been made in making regenerative models of grain production and animal husbandry large scale commercial, whereas commercial vegetable production hasn't currently a regenerative model scaleable to large size. Gardeners can do it, but it falls apart at commercial scale. I am attempting to create that new scaleable model.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; February 13, 2015 at 03:43 PM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote