View Single Post
Old June 6, 2018   #10
bower
Tomatovillian™

I always forget to do the paper test but it's a good one! Tap your suspect leaf onto a sheet of white paper. If the specks on the paper crawl around, they are mites.

BTW your plants look quite good to me and not severely affected by the damage to leaves, whatever the cause. They look strong, not sad. We don't really get hail here but my first thought would have been environmental causes of that type. The beetles in one of your pics could be doing some chomping too. If I were you I'd try to get a species ID on the beetles, maybe get some clearer pics for that. The antenna (among other things) are important for ID to general groups of plant eaters vs insect eaters.
The "webbing " in your last pics doesn't look anything like spider mites, looks like a stray fluffy seed of some kind or maybe a cocoon in progress. Spider mite webs are super fine, and their damage is not like those big chompings on the leaves at all.

To the other question, are all spiders bad? Not at all. Spiders are your friend, and some of them will eat the mites too. Sometimes all a garden needs is time for the good insects to catch up with the bad. Spraying with water, or shaking the plants to knock those beetles off for a week or two may be enough time for the predators to catch up with them (But caveat that notion is not based on a specific knowledge of beetle as a pest, and some beetles are the good guys, I can't positively ID the one in your photo just assuming a pest due to the relative size of the damage/chomps). OTOH if you spray permethrin or a lot of DE you will kill as many or more beneficials as you do pests. If the beetles are climbers you could use DE around the lower stem to keep them down, the less you use, the less you risk your natural controls.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote