View Single Post
Old January 9, 2018   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Krim View Post
Im looking for varieties to extend my growing season---Early and later.

The variety needs to fit under a 4 ft hoop house and will get the benefit of a wall of water. I can start inside but will need to move outside where the sunlight will be better than any growlights. ( Tried to grow inside last winter, in a south window (Low E type) with new growlight; but plants grew tooooo large, and tomatos slow to show up--5 months)

Looking at early varieties offered by Tomatogrowers.com, I see lots of early ripening dates, under 70 days BUT not all are listed as cold hardy......

And the size of the plants are all over the place.

What is the best one or two to trial? Polar Baby seems like a good choice....

If anyone has experience with any of these, I need HELP??

POLAR BABY
Polar Baby #2536 (30 seeds) Very small plants bear large harvests of 2-inch red salad tomatoes. These tomatoes are sweet and very well flavored, especially for a variety that produces so early. This is a cold weather tomato that was developed in Alaska. Determinate. 60 days.

MATINA
Matina #5606 (30 seeds) This very early variety bears loads of 2 to 4 oz. red fruit with terrific flavor normally found only in a huge beefsteak. The fact that its fruit is ripe up to a full month earlier than many beefsteak varieties makes Matina really special. Potato-leaved plants put on large clusters of abundant tomatoes, and even though they start early, continue to bear throughout a long season. Heirloom from Germany. Indeterminate. 58 days.

MANITOBA
Manitoba #2011 (30 seeds) 6-1/2 oz. brick-red tomatoes are smooth and slightly flattened in shape. Extremely productive and very early variety developed in Manitoba, Canada. Determinate. 60 days.

SILETZ
Siletz #2831 (30 seeds) Deep red, full-flavored slicing tomatoes are 10 to 12 ozs. and very nice for an early variety. Developed by Dr. James Baggett of Oregon State University, these plants yield well even in cool weather. Good acid taste and excellent interior fruit quality in an early tomato. Best suited to cool or temperate climates, Siletz may have problems with abnormal fruit shape and catfacing in warmer southern areas. Determinate. 52 days.

STUPICE
Stupice #4782 (30 seeds) From Czechoslovakia, this is an extremely early cold-tolerant tomato that bears an abundance of 2 ounce flavorful and sweet tomatoes. This variety has become a garden favorite for its earliness, productivity, and truly wonderful taste. Indeterminate. 52 days.

Sub arctic plenty-(another seed source)Days To Maturity: 50 Determinate. Very tolerant to colder climates, red and round fruits. Perfect to grow in containers, known as one of the earliest tomatoes to fruit!

I have grown all that you list,some several times.

I live just 3 miles from the VT border, but it makes a big difference to me as to exactly where you are in NE.

So please share that with me, or at least give a general location.

Thanks,

Carolyn