View Single Post
Old November 10, 2018   #13
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee View Post
Whoever tries this in a region where you get a lot of foliage disease, it would be really interesting if you could do a side by side test to see if overhead/under leaf waterings lead to more disease. I was very happy to see that overhead watering did not affect my plants except for that lone Esterina.
Barb_FL, let us know your results on water blasting. I did mine mostly in the morning or during the day so that the plants had ample time to dry, just in case. But I did on some early evenings also. Good luck to you!
Did the blast with the flat setting today.

For some reason I don't get foliar diseases; Maybe b/c I'm really close to the ocean and get a lot of wind.

I did the blast method last year when I already had Russet Mites; water blast during the day and in the evenings sometimes I did a blast with soluble kelp (hose end sprayer). Some of those nights were cold too and I never saw foliar diseases even then. The Kelp spray did not rid the plants of Russet Mites, but I thought it kept it at bay; at least I had a lot of fruit set.

I started with the water blast in the spring of '16-17 season when I already had russet mites too. Looking back, '16-'17 season was my best season ever. '17-'18 I grew much less plants and way less fewer varieties.

When we have heavy dew from overniight on the plants; it is gone by 8:30 AM (or even earlier).

---
My new test is to do the water blast BEFORE I get the russet mites.
peebee, It's like everything they told us about getting the leaves wet doesn't matter.

Last edited by Barb_FL; November 10, 2018 at 12:44 PM.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote