View Single Post
Old May 28, 2013   #47
Master_Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Commercial farm vs home garden or mini-farm

[QUOTE=SIP Gro-Tubs;351488]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post

I, would like to hear your theories of how you would upscale the backyard model type of Permaculture for feeding a single family to a large scale such that commercial growers use, without doing major modifications.

Just think of a commercial grower spreading hay in round bales on just 1 section of land, or adding compost to same amount of land, those types of modifications arn't major they would be astronomical, especially for the funds they would have to have to even to start the first year, and then on a yearly basis.

Terry Layman
I can think of several differences other than material cost. Imagine harvesting your home garden. Now imagine 'scaling' that technique to 100 acres. That is a challenge.

I certainly do not have all the answers, but one thing seems to stand out is that there are some cultural practices that are optimized for a home garden and some that are optimized for a commercial farm. I'm not sure there will always be a 1:1 scaling of the exact same practices.

I had a problem with slugs. I tried using beer but it didn't work, until I gave it to the slugs.
Master_Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote