View Single Post
Old April 26, 2011   #14
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

As long as a potato sprout/shoot has some roots...separate it for an individual transplanting. Once the transplant is growing good...one, two , three weeks later...take to the field.

The idea of course, is to get quite a few roots to support the transplanting shock. I find the shoot takes off better if there is a fair amount of green leaves to balance the new growth.

BTW, speedkin.com seems to show some very familiar TPS lines. I am finding more and more photos on the web since I have been foisting TPS to anyone who wants to try growing potatoes from the true seed.

I rather like the tandem approach that is so apropos on this TVille topic......growing potatoes from TPS and multiplying potatoes rapidly by sprout pulls. I would love to see folks finding a 'One in a million' potato hill from TPS and reproducing it 100 fold the next season by sprout pulls.

Tom Wagner

I encourage folks to try TPS and it is not too late for this season to get some seed and try it clear into late summer. I may list several hundred new TPS lines on my TPS site yet this Spring or Summer to promote more diversity of potato varieties...

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote